Sunday, December 5, 2010

All About Mystery Shopping

I didn't think mystery shopping was for real, until I saw a friend do it while we took a trip to the store.  She told me it had been years since she had paid for a meal at a certain local casual-dining restaurant, because she often mystery-shopped there.  She was kind enough to share the link for her site with me, and I completed my first shop this week and will do two more in the morning!

The site she uses, which I can definitely vouch for because she's gotten paid, is Feedback Plus.  While I've been doing some research on mystery shopping, I learned that there is a professional organization called the Mystery Shopping Providers Association, just for shoppers!  Best of all, they have a page with links to all their member organizations, so I've been signing up for a bunch to see which have shops in my area I'd like to do.  (Many only have them in Orlando, which is too far for me at this time.)

I've only been doing it for a short time, but here's my Mystery Shopper FAQ, gleaned from research among several different sites and my own experience:


What exactly do you do?
Mystery shopping assignments vary. Some require you to purchase something with your own money, and you are then reimbursed along with a small bonus.  Other times, you just walk into a store and pretend that you want to buy something, and you just record the actions of the sales associate (like, if they suggested that you apply for the store credit card).

How do you get "shops"?
Shops are what your assignments are called.  Most companies have a website where you can search by location for shops near you (or near where you will be traveling), and you can pick which ones you want.  Many sites put a limit on the number of shops you can do at one time, or in one month, or at a particular location.

What do you do after you're done?
You fill out an online form giving all the details of your shop.  If you bought something, you upload a copy of your receipt (so you need a digital camera or scanner).  It's a good idea to read the form BEFORE you go, because the questions are quite detailed, like how tall was the manager or how many seconds between when you were greeted and seated.  Usually these forms must be filled out within 12-24 hours of the shop, depending on the site.

How do you get paid for mystery shopping?
This varies a LOT.  In fact, I decided not to use a particular site because they mailed paper checks 40-60 days after a shop is completed, and that was too long for me.  Most sites either mail a paper check or insist on using PayPal.  Some pay within a week or two, but most pay in about 30 days.

Who is an ideal mystery shopper?
You need to be observant, discreet, and a good actor.  One shop I saw had an elaborate scenario for how you pretend you forgot your wallet so you avoid making a purchase.  You also need to be very good at following directions, because you won't get paid if the shop isn't done exactly as specified.  Mystery shopping is fun but it's definitely work.

Hope this little tutorial helped!  Let me know your experienced with mystery shopping in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice to each other. Posts including spam or referral links will be deleted.